Happy couple

Happy couple

Friday, October 29, 2010

Day 18 post transplant....

So yesterday (day 18) started out very rough. Abby was not waking up and she was sweaty and shaky. The doctors said that she most likely has an infection either from one of her lines or maybe an abscess. They wanted to use a certain antibiotic that would be strong enough to get rid of most infections. The problem with that antibiotic is it could potentially wipe out her kidney. The doctors that are caring for Abby in the ICU and the Kidney doctors were discussing what they should do. They decided to start an antibiotic that is safe for the kidney, an anti-fungal and an antiviral medication for the next 4 days and see how she does.
They also did an abdominal and head MRI to check for signs of infection just to be on the safe side. We still don't know the results of that. I stayed with Abby till about 1:30 A.M. so my parents could get some sleep. She was a little out of it at first after her MRI which ended at 11:00 P.M. I just sat by her bed and held her hand. Every time I would stand up or move a little. Abby would squeeze my hand and not let me let go. That was a very good sign it let me know that she knew I was there.
They gave Abby a bath and changed her bedding. After they got her all tucked in and comfortable again she woke up. She looked at me with wide eyes and gave me a slight smile. She was a little confused but I think that is normal she had slept for 2 days and had been very sick. Abby has an oxygen mask on that more just goes around her mouth and it has humidified air to help moisten her nose and throat. So she was a little worried about that she kept pointing to it. So I would explain that it wasn't scary and it was just helping her a little. She then pointed to other things that were on her and I explained what they were and that they were all normal medical things and that she was ok. She seemed more calm at that point and less confused. She was holding my hand again and when I said I was going home she started to squeeze my hand and didn't want to let go. Also when my dad came in she looked worried I asked her if she was worried about dad getting sleep and she nodded. I told her that he had been sleeping and he was doing fine. That shows Abby's true personality she was worried about my dad even though she is the one who is sick. It was good to see Abby so alert she was a little confused but not too much. I really think she was just making sure she was okay.
So for today we are hoping she continues to get better. We would love for her kidney to start working but we will be patient. Thank you for all the prayers for our Abby.

1 comment: